[Harp-L] Re: bassman mods

Just to elaborate a bit, I designed my manual with the mindset that my
customer may not know a tube from a resistor, so making it as humanly simple as
possible, and yet still give them the ability to understand what, why, and how,
took me 3 years to develop. To think of dropping resistors, cathodes, etc.,
for  the novice is just way out there. And remember virtually every tech is
used to  working on amps for guitar, so unless they are a PRO player, and can
actually  emulate Big Walter or Little Walter's basic tone, how do they modify an
amp for  harp. By theory, or by what someone else's Theory is. Then we come
to the Amp go  Round, my favorite term, drop up to a grand on building an amp
or buying one and  trying to modify it, then lose money selling it to get
something else, until low  and behold, you have spent close to that 2 grand and
still don't have a plug in  a play bonified harp amp. Not everyone can afford it,
nor justify it, I  understand that. But there is a reason that I have sold
close to a thousand harp  amps worldwide, from Tasmania to Japan and all parts
inbetween, reputation and  trust of what I do. After the thousands of vintage
amps I LOST money on during  my experimental years, I personally feel to have
something like this manual plus  every tube needed plus spares included in the
final price is something you won't  find or just being able to plug in and
play. Sure we could give a basic  starting point, but no other reference to why,
what or how to adjust for every  room situation, mic, personal playing style
that is offered with personal harp  player's customer service. All these things
factor into the price, my time  making the product, and availability after
the sale. And NO, not everyone will  be able to push tone out of an amp if it is
not there in themselves to begin  with, but that is where I refer to Dave
Barrett's superb instructional series,  so as you grow, the amp will allow you to
grow with it. You will sound the same  through ANY amp in the beginning, mine
just allows more headroom and tone, but  trust me, I have had beginners over
the house and know what goes in, comes out.  The amp is a lifetime investment,
over 50 years at my selling price it is  THIRTEEN CENTS a day. I didn't do
that calculation, one of my customers that  does sales did, I thought it was
pretty cool, considering what some spend on  extraneous items, just a thought. I
have sent people towards used reissue  bassmans if that truly was all they
needed, and at times, gave them a starting  tube setup, but that is where it
would have to end. Five minutes of someone's  time adds up with a business, job,
life, and my loyalty is always to my  customers who can get me all the time.
This is just to further explain what  comes with a thought out, customized harp
amp from us, I will never push anyone  into a sale, and as I said, have
referred out whenever I felt it was right for  the person calling or emailing. Trust
me, I know the HarpL guys love what they  do, and most will never buy my amp
due to price, this is just my perspective on  what seems like a simple
question, basic harp setup. This could go on forever,  with everyone's personal
opinion, I have to get back to work. Be well.  SJ