Re: Fwd: RE: [Harp-L] harp roles in jam situations

Usually my friend, Chris M., would chime in about now,
but he's up here in MN without a computer this
weekend.

He and I were talking the other night about harp stuff
in general and he brought up the idea that to play "in
the groove" the harp should have more of a rhythm role
then a melodic.  I agree that the harp can be a very
melodic insturment and that that is how I usually
play, but his ideas made great sense.  One should
concentrate more or the rhythm of the song then the
notes played, etc.

Of course, this had more to do with soloing and
playing with a band rather then functioning like a
rhythm guitar.

That being said, I know Chirs plays a lot of rhythm in
his band (since there is no guitar) in the role being
discussed on the list.  Also, John Popper plays a lot
of rhythm harmonica.

I have noticed lately, that most of my harp heroes
play very little if any rhythm harp.  So, my opinion
about the role in a jam is to play sparingly.  That
would be my advice to any insturment really.  When
playing rhythm I would approach it like a guitar or
keys would rather then riffing in the background.

Mike

--- mfugazzi67 <mfugazzi67@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> --- In harp-l-archives@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Eric
> Neumann" <eneumann@xxxx>
> wrote:
>
> Nick writes (states/forwards a question):
> "1) harmonica is not a rhythm instrument (at least
> at a jam)"
>
> Eric N writes:
> It's subjective. I think, alone the harmonica is
> very capable of
> providing rhythm. In fact, timing is everything,
> isn't it...
> (rhetorical). Rhythm is timing I believe.
>
> Maybe, the harmonica can be MANY things in a band,
> and as well on it's
> own - alone. It can be lead. It can be rhythm. It
> can do both at the
> same time, right? Would a guitar ever do a
> convincing train? Not without
> rhythm. I have been asked to COMP on some songs to
> enhance it - this
> suggestion by other musicians, not skilled at harp..
> uh, like me..
> haha.. but wait - I have alsways felt that the
> harmonica can be ANYTHING
> it wants to be.
>
> At a jam, I would like to meet the challenge of
> "being a rhythm
> instrument" as point of personal challenge. I am
> pretty sure, I could do
> okay... and still not be bored. Boring perhaps...
> who knows.

> --- End forwarded message ---

Mike Fugazzi
vocals/harmonica