[Harp-L] harp roles in jam situations

Harp-L,

I have a theory/etiquette question I'm hoping will spark some discussion.
Perhaps this has been discussed before, but I'm a beginner so I'll hope
you'll all forgive redundancy.  I joined up with the Colorado Blues Society
and their online forums and found a post discussing jam etiquette.  I read
through the posts and understand most of it and found it enlightening.  The
last thing I want to do is piss people off while I'm learning (or at any
point for that matter).  However, there was one comment made by the author
of the post that I'm having trouble absorbing.  I'm hoping you all can help
me understand what he means.

>From http://www.coblues.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=165:

"1) harmonica is not a rhythm instrument (at least at a jam)"

I discussed this with some friends last night, but we all came to different
conclusions.  In my reading and practice, one of the first things I do to
learn a song is follow the bass line to get a feel for the song, but to me,
that means I'm acting as part of the rhythm.  The author obviously realizes
that he made a comment that not everyone would agree with, per his "Flame
Away" comment, and I'm not saying he's right or wrong.  I'm just curious
what other harp players might think he meant by it.  I just want a better
understanding of where the harp fits in and what is good practice when
sitting in with new people in a jam type situation.

Looking forward to your responses.

Nick