[Harp-L] instrument ranges

The names of the ranges of instruments has no direct relation to that of
the human voice.  While "soprano" may tend to indicate much the same
range, a "soprano saxophone" doesn't exactly correlate with the
"soprano" singer.  In general, from my own practical experience,
instrument makers refer to the ranges in relationship to their
instrument and really couldn't care less about what singers and voice
teachers call things.

Thus, let's look at the harmonica, particularly the chromatic.  For the
last twenty years at least, the 12-hole chromatic starting on middle C
has been the standard instrument while a 12-hole tuned an octave below
that has been called a "tenor" instrument (the recent and unfortunate
use of "baritone" by two otherwise fine companies is without explanation
to me--unless Hohner has a copywrite on the term "tenor").  At the same
time, the bass-harmonica has a range which begins on E two octaves and a
half (more, actually) below middle C.  Thus, from a chromatic harmonica
perspective (the only one of significance in this debate, as that is the
subject not vocals, pianos or other instruments, all of which have their
own systems) there is an octave between the "tenor" and the "bass"
octaves.  The traditional term for an instrument in this range is
"baritone".  Thus, it makes sense to use the term "baritone" for a
chromatic harmonica two-octaves below middle-C (whatever the starting
note).  Based on existing nomenclature and historic precedent, this is
the most logical choice.

Instruments, instrument makers and players can exceed the range of human
vocals in both directions, so I have never noticed much of a correlation
between what instrument makers call a range of an instrument and
singers, except the general idea of higher instruments being "soprano"
or "alto" and lower pitched ones being "bass" "baritone" or "tenor"
depending on situation.

To give a further example.  In the organ world we call the keyboard
according to octaves.  The lowest octave is bass, the next tenor and
then the middle (starting at middle C).  These correspond to music
notation.  However, they only roughly correspond to pitch as different
stops on the organ are at different pitches.  Thus you might be playing
in the bass octave of the keyboard but the pitch could actually be that
of the "middle" range of standard notation.  The point I'm trying to
make is that rules of naming make sense within the context of the
instrument which is being discussed, and what makes sense for an organ,
a singer or a harmonica might not make sense for any other instrument.

 oo    JR "Bulldogge" Ross
()()   & Snuffy, too:)
`--'