Fwd: Re: [Harp-L] re: baritone harmonica - slow response? No.

I must disagree on the basis of experience.

The Hohner Polyphonia 7 is a true baritone and it is not slow or
ponderous in its response. As I mentioned, its reed dimensions are
similar - though a little larger - to the reed dimensions of the
lowest reeds of a 16-hole chromatic and yet it makes a decent sound.

I think a manufacturer would have to be willing to go beyond the form
factor of a standard chromatic - just slightly deeper reeedplates and
comb front-to-back could allow for an enormouse difference in
responsiveness because you wouldn't be trying to make standard-sized
chromatic reeds do something they're not good at.

--- In harp-l-archives@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, MundHarp@xxxx wrote:

Yes a baritone harmonica would not be very responsive... But play
an "A"  "F"
or "D" Echo Vamper/Marine Band 12 hole... They are hard to play, but
give a
WONDERFUL sound.... Sony Boy #2/Rice Miller made the most of them
back in the
'60s
Even a regular 10 hole diatonic in Low "F" gives  a wonderful
sound.... It
would be great to have a low low chromatic!!!!
John Walden
London
England