Fwd: RE: [Harp-L] Baritone harmonica

The desire for a slide baritone harmonica has been expressed by many
people, myself included. It's *almost to the point where some
enterprising niche harmonica manufacturer with an inclination to
serve specialized needs might want to get involved - maybe someone in
the Klingenthal region?

I have three baritone harmonicas of the all-blow variety. One of
them, an obsolete Hohner Polyphonia (I forget the number - possibly
#7) goes down to D  a 14th (i.e. nearly two octaves) below middle C.
The lowest-pitched D reed is only a few millimeters longer and maybe
1 mm wider than the longest reeds on a Hohner 64. This leads me to
believe that a true baritone with responsive reeds and decent volume
could be built into a size not much larger than a standard chromatic.
It *might be necessary to space the holes wider due to wider reeds,
but maybe not. Of course, trying to valve those really low reeds
could be a chanllenge due to the wide swing - witness the "cup"
valves Hohner uses on the lowest reeds of their 4-octave instruments.

Winslow

--- In harp-l-archives@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Michael Peloquin"
<peloquinharp@xxxx> wrote:

>From: "Jonathan R. Ross" <jross38@xxxx>

>For the slider bass-harp I had in mind I was going to make it
>single-reed, both for simplicity and because I prefer that sound for
>what I would want.  I was going to use the octave reed-plates to
make an
>octave-higher version.  Again, this will probably not happen anytime
>soon.

I would love to have a true BARITONE harmonica, with a slide,
starting two
octaves below middle C. This would be great for playing sax & string
quartet
music.
JR, you can make one for me when you have a spare minute.

Michael Peloquin
http://tinyurl.com/5tpjg
http://www.harpsax.com