Fwd: [Harp-L] Bass Harmonicas- to octave or not

I've experimented with playing a standard bass harmonica with just the
low octave reeds sounding. They were extremely soft in volume and the
pitch depressed very easily.

The octave reeds both reinforce the second and fourth partials (the
octave and the octave above that), which helps with both volume and
cutting ability, and take some of the air pressure, which helps with
pitch accuracy.

I have noticed that some of the better bass harmonica players manage
somehow to play the standard octave bass but to de-emphasize the octave-
y sound. Whether this is done through instrument adjustment, playing
technique, or amplification, I don't know. I remember listening to Dick
Gardner with the Harmonicats and remarking on how he made the standard
octave bass sound more like a cello than a bass harmonica. Bass
harmonica plaeyrs often strive for a smoothed-out, somewhat deadened
sound, unless they are trying to make the instrument sound more
colorful - i.e., archaic, comic, sinister, etc. - all the things it is
used for in jingles and film scores.

Winslow

--- In harp-l-archives@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Colin Fulton <justcolin@xxxx>
wrote:

I have been considering building my own bass harmonica for a while.
What are peoples opinions about single vs. double reed? I would love
it if people have sound files with each type playing. Maybe one song
with a single and one dong with a double that you could send me. Or if
you own could you record yourself playing it a bit on them and send it
to me that would be great also. Thanks a lot everyone!