[Harp-L] Re: "Fattening Frogs For Snakes"...whats that all about?!?!?

Nate wrote:
"For the longest time I've wondered what Sonny Boy Williamson 2 was on about, I mean what was the guy thinking when he penned this song? Anyone have any insights to his thinking on this one?

Then Bill Hines wrote:
"The song is about how he was getting ripped off by the record people and music industry, he finally got wise. Of course, he couldn't come right out and say that, or the record would never have seen the light of day."

Bill Hines is more or less right (though I don't believe SBWII was all piss and vinegar toward the recording biz ...... I believe he thought quite highly of Lillian McMurry who owned the Trumpet label and vice versa). Anyway, from what I remember of reading the book "Fessor Mojo's Don't Start Me to Talkin'" by Bill Donoghue, there's a bit more to it than that -- and the real, complete answer ain't exactly clear. Like MOST things about SBWII, a good bit remains a mystery.
God, I wish I still had my copy of that book (I lent it to a certain sexy rocker/harp teacher a long time ago - so long ago he wasn't even sexy yet - and haven't seen it since).
BTW, anyone know what's be come of Donoghue!? He used to be a Harp-L regular.
MN