[Harp-L] comba material (was big sound)

Zombor wrote:

"I am looking for some info on harp sound."

If you search the archives with the words "comb material" you'll find a
veritable treasure trove of information on the subject of comb material
and the sound of harmonicas.  There have been very large debates over
and again on the subject.

I would say that any claims of superior (or even different) tone based
on comb materials should be taken with a large grain of salt.  People
tend to hear what they want to hear, and thus when someone expects there
to be a difference in sound due to materials (and knows the material in
question) they will probably hear a difference.  So far the two studies
attempted haven't shown that people can hear a difference when comb
material was the only factor (or, at least, when the other variables
were minimized).

However, what I wrote in the above paragraph has a very important point
which tends to get overlooked: the psychological effect.  If you believe
(for whatever reason) that a wooden comb sounds "warmer" and a metal
comb "sharper", then you will probably end up sounding "warmer" when you
play a harp with a wooden comb and "sharper" when you play one with a
metal comb.  The mind is an amazing thing, and it can subtly shape not
only our perceptions but also our actions, to the degree that you may
alter your style and tone without even being aware of what you are
doing.  This should not be discounted as an important factor in choosing
harmonicas.

I, for one, really like the feel of metal combs--primarily their heft
and weight.  Ironically, I own very few metal-combed harps right now,
but I certainly like those which I do own.  However, I also don't
believe that comb material makes a whit of difference to the sound, so
don't make buying choices based on comb material, excepting that I try
to avoid wood, for the most part (wood composites are another matter).
But, my avoidance of the standard wood used in harmonica combs is based
on purely practical matters: swelling, cracking and such.  If they used
a very hard wood (African blackwood, for instance) these wouldn't be
issues.  But, then, these aren't issues in plastic combs to begin
with--and most plastics are a lot easier to manufacture than wood.  If I
were to build my own comb, well, the main factor would be what won't
ruin the machines at the shop and thus keep the woodworkers from yelling
at me.

Hope this helps.

 oo    JR "Bulldogge" Ross
()()   & Snuffy, too:)