[Harp-L] Playing through vocal mics- a case for using your own rig

Hey Folks,

Thought I'd share this bad experience with you as an object lesson in when
step down from playing even when you really want to.  The other night I went
to sit in with a local blues band that I often sit in with - Willy Tri And
The Bluescasters.  Willy plays through a Super Reverb and switches to guitar
through that same amp in his second set.  So if I come late and I want to
sit in, it has to be through a vocal mic through the board.  This mic goes
through speakers that are set way forward so that I can't really hear
myself.  There's only one monitor but since I'm standing directly over it
and all the sound blows past my feet.  The end result is I'm playing my
lungs out but can only hear three fourths of what I play and faintly at
that.  How did I sound?  I'm not sure but I'm betting I sounded like crap.
I couldn't hear the ends of my notes or the beginnings of any transitions
from draw to blow.  The lesson here is that when an opportunity presents
itself for playing it pays to carefully consider weather that situation will
allow you to be your best and if it doesn't, you should skip it.  I hat
sounding like crap, especially with a band with a first rate harp player.
Having your own rig is ALWAYS better; even if it's not the greatest rig in
the world.  At least you can control it and hear what you're playing.

Sam Blancato, Pittsburgh