[Harp-L] Re: Low Low Harps

Message: 9
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2006 19:51:01 -0000
From: "Winslow Yerxa" <winslowyerxa@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Fwd:  Re: [Harp-L] Re: Low Low Harps
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx

--- In harp-l-archives@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, fjm <mktspot@...> wrote:

Part of Michael's evil plan to dominate world semi custom harmonica production, he's included Ben Bouman playing a sound clip on the low low F German major diatonic harmonica. I did not make it out of that site without spending money. Now if I only knew what a Euro was worth in dollars.

I have the low G and the Low A. Donald Black bought a Low Low F at SPAH.

The one thing I wish - this is the Bushman version; don't know if it's
true of the Seydel - would be that the covers would be easier to re-
shape so that the low reeds wouldn't hit the covers. That's one
advantage of Marine Band style covers - they're easily re-bent to suit
whatever shape you have in mind.

The euro as of a few moments ago was worth US$1.18820.

Winslow

As you may have noticed, the covers of the Seydel Session models are totally different to Marine Band Style ones.
http://www.seydel1847.de/epages/Seydel.storefront/?ObjectID=30563&Locale=en_GB

They are one part of the construction to avoid touching the covers. But also slot position and reed material and profiles are part of it. You can't create such animals just with downtuning.

Just lifting the covers can create such a big gradient, that you might feel having a bone in your teeth instead of a harmonica. To find a good working compromise here is the art af making very low harmonicas.

Yours
Michael Timler
www.seydel1847.com