To: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, February 16, 2006 7:43 PM
Subject: [Harp-L] Low-Keyed Harps and Emotional Affect

The cost of low-keyed harps, whether out-of-the-box or custom-built, is of
course a valid concern, but one that should be weighed against the power of
their expressiveness. I play a Low D built by Richard Sleigh and a Low C
Seydel through a standard Green Bullet, and I'm struck by the impact they have on
listeners. Since I'm very influenced by hard-bop tenor-sax players, these
harps allow me to play horn-like lines with a deeper sonority than I could
otherwise obtain, especially for ballads; but they also give rich colors to
standard blues. Of course they demand a more focussed and conscientious breathing
discipline, but I find that when I switch back to standard-keyed harps that
same discipline gives sharper control and subtlety of tone. Needless to say,
Richard's Low D in particular is a marvel of craftsmanship, but I'd also
encourage anyone on the fence to invest in the Seydels, too.

Peace and Respect,
Johnny T