From: harp-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:harp-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf
Of JW-Jones Blues Band
Sent: Thursday, February 16, 2006 8:51 AM
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Harp-L] JW-Jones new to list - RE: KIM WILSON / FRANK SCANGA

Hey everybody.

I am a blues guitarist and singer from Ottawa, Canada, and I am new to
the list.

I have a deep connection with blues harmonica having worked (or shared
the stage) with some of the best in the world. Kim Wilson, Rick Estrin,
Sugar Ray, Rod Piazza, Mitch Kashmar, Hash Brown, and the legendary Sam
Myers.  I'm also a huge fan of Darrell Nulisch, James Harman, and a
couple of others, but have not had the chance to work with them.  Of
course I won't even mention Little Walter and Sonny Boy II, that goes
without saying.

Kim Wilson has been a huge influence to me (and a big part of our
success) since he was a guest on our second album "Bogart's Bounce".  He
then produced our third - "My Kind of Evil".  After several sold-out
shows with Kim in Canada and various guest spots with him and the
T-Birds around North America, I have him to thank for a tremendous
amount of knowledge and a great friendship over the last 5 years.

I honestly believe that some of his LARGEST sounding harp tone ever
recorded is on our third CD.  No joke.  If you haven't heard his playing
on "Aching Pain", chromatic on "Cheating Woman" and acoustic work on
Lazy Lester's "You've Got Me (Where You Want Me)" - IT IS ESSENTIAL!!!
This is not a sales pitch; I have said it since day 1 that any harmonica
fan needs to hear these tracks.  There are clips on our site.

LADIES AND GENTS, Let me introduce an unknown harp player. FRANK SCANGA.

Frank is a harmonica player I would like to introduce that is definitely
one of the best unknown musicians in Canada, or anywhere for that
matter.  He is a high-school teacher by day, but has studied it all from
low down blues to bebop (not on the harp though!).  I would call him the
best harmonica player in Canada, and I have played with them all.  He is
one of the FEW that know when to leave spaces, and let the song breathe.
He has an understanding about the music that is honest and laid back.
nothing frantic. he doesn't overplay.  He realizes the role of his
instrument and does not play over vocals or other musicians solos. this
is a rare catch.

Please check out his harmonica work on a tune from our new album,
Kissing in 29 Days.  The track is called "Got Me Chasin'".

http://www.jw-jones.com/jw-jones-w-frank-scanga-on-harp---got-me-chasin.
mp3

Oh, and he also plays baritone sax on the rest of the album, with a solo
on the uptown shuffle "All My Money".  Frank played baritone sax on the
album "My Kind of Evil" as well, including the solo on the big band tune
"Code Blue" and backs Kim Wilson's vocals on "Blue Monday" and "I Don't
Know".

Okay guys, there is my intro, I hope to chat with you all very soon.

All the best and thanks for listening to my intro and rant :-)

Yours,

JW-Jones

Maple Blues Award Winner... Electric Act of the Year

 <http://www.bluesrevue.com/> BLUES REVUE MAGAZINE feature in APRIL/MAY
issue!

NEW CD - Kissing in 29 Days, with legendary guest,

                David "Fathead" Newman on sax.

www.jw-jones.com <http://www.jw-jones.com/>
www.northernblues.com <http://www.northernblues.com/>