RE[Harp-L] modes and positions

Most traditional Irish tunes are modal in nature. I learned hundreds by ear before I even knew what "mode" or "position" meant. "Major" tunes are nearly all in Ionian or Mixolydian modes, but I discovered a couple that I was playing in Lydian mode, 12th position, i.e. in the "key" of G on a low D harp. "Minor" tunes are in Dorian mode, so 3rd position (the majority), or Aeolian mode, 4th position. The fact that I was cheerfully playing all these modes/positions, blissfully unaware that here on Harp-L and elsewhere there were angst-ridden discussions going on about how to do it, has led me to the conclusion that its often best to see the harp as a bunch of notes waiting to be played rather than a complex beast with almost as many positions as the Kama Sutra! ;-)

Steve

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/trad_irish_harmonica HEAR my CD clips: http://www.gjk2.com/steveshaw/cd.htm READ review of my CD: http://www.irishmusicreview.com/sshaw.htm