Re: [Harp-L] re: bendability

On Feb 13, 2006, at 11:21 AM, Jonathan R. Ross wrote:

I think the reason is mostly to do with tone and feel. While valved
bends do give you "bendability", they cannot have the same tone as a
double-reed bend, due to the physics involved. This can be seen by
doing an experiment. Valve the blow reed in holes two and four of a
standard diatonic (thus eliminating the dual-reed bend), but leave holes
one and three unvalved. Now, try playing bends on each, especially
focusing on switching from unvaled to valved holes and vice-versa. You
will notice that both the tone of the bend and the physical sensation of
bending are very different between the valved and unvalved notes.

They can sound quite different if you don't normally use them. My experience is that, with practice and attention to tone, the differences in timbre can be minimized. I spend time playing acoustically, using a microphone a few feet from the harp feeding an oscilloscope, and adjust my technique for the most sinusoidal waveform on all notes, blow, draw, dual-reed-bent, or valve-bent.

Interestingly, the most challenging for me to "equalize" is not valved vs double reed, but the 3Dbbb (double reed) bend. I tuned 3B up a tone (from G to A) so I could reduce the triple bend to 2 reeds with a semitone bend each. It worked. The blow chord is a nice jazzy C6/Am7.

--IronMan Mike Curtis ironmanmc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx