Re: [Harp-L] Help with Modes...

Every scale has a tonic, the "boss" of the scale, which sounds most stable.
For instance, the C note for the C scale, the Bb note for the Bb scale.
What mode really means, is that you change the "boss" of the scale.

For instance, if you change the boss of C scale to D note,
you get a new scale, the D dorian: [D E F G A B C],
which uses exactly the same notes as C scale, but sounds totally different.
That is the 2nd mode of the C scale.
Now D behaves as the tonic, the functions of all the notes and chords are different,
they give you a whole new feeling, sounds more like a minor scale.

As we go on, 7 modes will be found from the C scale, each sounds different.

I don't know how the tune sounds, but it's rather unusual that you
play a Cm tune on a D harp, which is the 11th position.
The note C is not in the D scale, thus it is not in any mode of the D scale.

Nidalap in Taiwan :D~

--
Age is an issue of mind over matter.
If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.