Re: [Harp-L] Help with Modes...

Guy Buxman wrote:
<Hey List,
<Is there a simple explanation for modes?

A mode is a given scale played from any note in the scale to the same
note an octave higher.  So any given diatonic scale has seven modes.
For a major scale, starting on the root and moving up, the modes are:
Ionian (in C, C to C -- this is 1st position on a tandard diatonic harp)
Dorian (in C, D to D -- this is 3rd position on a standard diatonic
harp)
Phrygian (in C, E to E)
Lydian (in C, F to F)
Mixolydian (in C, G to G -- this is 2nd position on a standard diatonic
harp)
Aeolian (in C, A to A)
Locrian (in C, B to B)

<I was jamming with some friends on "Straight On" by Heart which is in
<the key of C min.  The D diatonic fit like a glove. I don't know
why<...it just did. I assume it has something to do with modes???

I have absolutely no idea why this would work, except in an outside jazz
kind of way.  The notes of a D major scale and a C minor scale intersect
very little -- on the notes D, G, and A, to be precise. The D major
scale also contains the notes E, F#, B, and C#, which don't exist in C
minor (except that B exists in C minor ascengding, which I doubt was in
that Heart song.) If you can make a recording, I'd like to hear it.  Are
you sure everybody was playing in C minor, as opposed to B minor?

Thanks, Richard Hunter
hunterharp.com