Re: [Harp-L] Bolt-on reeds...

George Leung wrote:
> Yeah, I know that you can get it customize... but do you think
> that we will see bolt-on reeds from the factories anytime soon,
> considering that after so much pleas, Hohner finally made a screw
> assembly 270, and may make a CX-16 for 2008, but personally I
> prefer the use of bolt on reeds.

In a word, no.  I don't think manufacturers are interested in doing
things that make it significantly more time consuming and expensive
to build their instruments without a huge amount of demand from
consumers.  If anything, I think things are going the other way.
Suzuki has already moved to welded reeds on many of it's top
diatonic models, including the Promaster, and the Delta Frost they
build for Bushman.  I don't know whether they do this for their
chromatics (where repair is a bigger concern than with diatonics),
but imagine how much more labor it would take to build a harp with
reeds attached with screws.

-tim

Tim Moyer
Working Man's Harps