[Harp-L] RE: U-Blocking (Groove Tongue) - [LONG Tutorial]

My thanks to Robert for an excellent discussion of U blocking. I started with U blocking and used only UB for about 25 years, so I have a few comments. I now split pretty evenly between TB and UB. I pucker only for tongue tip effects

My main reason for learning TB was playing intervals. I played them by U'ing the upper note and playing the lower note out of the left corner. For me this required a big shift in the position of my jaw to one side and this eventually became painful.

With slaps, I prefer the sound of a TB slap which transiently plays notes lower then the destination note over a UB slap, which plays notes higher and lower. However, hole 1 slaps can be done with UB and sound great.

I think my tone is naturally a bit better with TB, though I can match it with UB if a pay attention.

High hole blow bends are much easier for me with UB then TB. The limited overblow play I do is with UB.

Jim R