[Harp-L] Re : new website: shamless plug & GEAR Report

Hurricane Sez ,

Tom :

Nice website man and I would also like to tell the forum just how great a guitar player you are and hope some of the members try out listening to your guitar recordings as they are really good  , strike that , they are great ! :)

No fooling around group , Tom Ball's a most modest and quiet man about his guitar playing virtuosity , but , don't let that sell short this man's ability as a multi instrument playing wild man . His collection of his guitar playing recordings available are nothing short of pure pleasure people , a real slice of nice is his guitarmanships :)

Please do yourself and your ears a favor and  give his stuff a serious listen , you will not be dissapointed , I was not ! :) Some of his songs are breath taking to put it mildly , this man has " grace and beauty " rolled up inside of him . This forum is so blessed and fortunate to have him aboard !

Tom :

I will soon get my DAW up , this Monday ( today ) it should arrive , your guitar recordings are an ispiration to me . I will get my hands on a Digitech ( my own this time :) GNX4 8 channel digital recorder/guitar & vocal FX device . And also Tom , I can not begin to tell you just how dreamy some of your songs are , they are truly ethereal and mind candy to the max , thanks for the tunes man I love em .

Gang of air warriors :

This will be a super happy day for me as I have longed for a digital domain type recording media device for p.c.'s since the mid 1970's ! . The GNX4 I'm getting has also in it the same modeling amps & speaker cabinets that Richard Hunter , Randy Singer and other hitters here have been playing around with made by Digitech , this unit is also a digital recorder with a USB in and out to your p.c. and also has midi in and out too plus a really great drum machine ( not a cheesy one at all ) that can also accept other midi drum ( or other additional instruments ) programming if you have a drum machine and or a midi sequencer like I have .

Take advantage Brothers & Sisters :

The market is saturated now with fine digital recording devices at reasonable prices , some as low as $199.00 , I have been actively reviewing many of these units now for over 10 years and  have come to this conclusion :

Get one .... anyone ..... some are better than others but , the  bottom line is .... drum roll ....

They are what the future holds for live entertainers for the following reasons :

# 1 :

You get to hear yourself , this really can help you improve

# 2 :

Once you get to a level of proficiancy you just might find your much better that you thought after you have regular practice sessions and then record and promote yourself .

# 3 :

Econonics , ever see a lone piano man working - - Yes you have and a solo man makes a good $ with a lot less logistical problems to over come with you start adding people into the equation .
Iron Mike Curtis is one fine example , he's got it going really nice & Mad Cat Ruth are great examples to draw on and from .

I just paid a little less than $600.00 for it and an add on foot switch ( for live looping on the fly ) plus some cables I needed to hook it up to guitars , keyboard & midi sequencer and then to my p.c. and when it's done I have the power of a super neeto DAW ( Digital Audio Workstation ) , that is portable !

Line 6 has a really neat one ( sans a drum machine ) for under $200.00 that hooks up to your p.c. , now thats a super low price way to get into the digital recording world ! there are so many out there now , it's a great time to get familiar with these units .

These recording instruments help in the studio recording process to elimanate some of the logistic problems of recording and now there are being used as live performace application like Richard Hunter & other pros here are now using . I love the stuff they can do in the studio and am super anxious to get my recording projects up and running with my new toy :) .

I still more than likely use my tube amp in live situations instead of this GNX4 for my harp playing live and then use the GNX4 for my vocals since it haws a super mic input integrated into this unit for the vocals in it that allows for reverb & delay . I am also tempted to try and use it's FX's for my harp because I can use this mic input for " dry " , or with " reverb & delay " plus the " FX's " offered in it's 10 different stomp boxes it offers you to use ( one or all at once , some of these FX's Popper and other harpers use )  , as it has a Fender Bassman amp & get this for cabinets , I can choose different cabinets including a 4X10 combo ! I will see if technology can cut it , if not , well I still have my tube amps to mic them in directly for recording purposes .

Conclusion :

I once considered a 3 man act consisting of only a harp , bass & drums but never got arounbd to it , I saw a trio called " Bazooka " from Los Angeles a few years back and realized my thinking was not off at all , they smoked heavy with only a sax , bass & drums . Now consider what a person can do now with a digital recorder .

A harp man can be a one man show truly now with backing music tracks he makes of himself and uses to back him up when not playing the harp as he/she sings . Think of it this way :

You could  do the bass harp and chording changes and have a backing drum track backing you as you sing and do your own

"Harmonicats "

type thang !

- - Ain't technology a gas brothers & sisters :)

Sincerely :

Hurricane Ramón

Aka :

Party_Man1@xxxxxxxxxx