Re: [Harp-L] How do you identify an OB?

--- In harp-l-archives@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Nate in the
Blues Room <thebluesroom@...> wrote:

> Kia ora koutou (Greetings All),
> With all this chit chat about over blows its had me
wondering how on earth
> does a novice like me identify an over blow?

um, i dunno if you can really describe a particular
sound overblows make. i would think the only way you
can really identify them is with a "trained" ear - for
one, you get used to hearing them (and maybe you can
hear subtle clues, like the note starting a little
flat, but you can say that about bends as well) and
for another, you get to the point where you can
identify the position someone is playing in and at
that point, you'll have a good idea when notes are
regular/bends/OB's. (of course, you might have to play
along with the music to really be sure of them all..
and that doesn't take alternate tunings into
account...)

> Dang, I can vaugely remember reading somewhere that
Adam Gussow pointed out
> that the first two notes of one of his songs were
indeed overblows...now
> which song was it...anybody...?

i don't think the first two notes of any actual tunes
are overblows, but he does use overblows in "Thunky
Fing" and "Watermelon Man". neither is the first note
of the tune. I don't think you can "hear" the OB in
"Watermelon Man" - in fact, it might be one of the
best damn examples i can imagine of a seamless
overblow -  but if you try to play it, you just can't
play it exactly right without it.

  --Jp