Re: [Harp-L] slot length stuff

Jonathan R. Ross wrote:
> as Paul pointed out Bb might be as good a choice for jazz
> players.  I also think the issue of the natural range and
> feel of the instrument is a big part of things.

I was thinking from the point of view of reading, locating the notes
of the staff, etc.  It is true that if you're learning the scales on
only one instrument you would likely overcome this difficiency
fairly quickly.  But at the outset, the C harmonica -- with
it's "all natural" notes -- would be easier to "map" to sheet music,
without regard to genre.

I can't really relate to the concept of only playing one harmonica.
I have hundreds and I play as many of them as I can in a
performance.  I enjoy switching between keys and between tunings, in
response to the feel and mood of the piece.  Selecting the instrument
(s) I'm going to use for a particular piece is a fun part of the
process of making music for me.

-tim

Tim Moyer
Working Man's Harps