Re: [Harp-L] Chris Hammersmith WHY?

I don't mean to imply the chromatic can not convey emotions one only
needs to hear Stevie, Toots, Bonfiglio, Hammer Smith and others...

The underlying point was if you can play that way in the chromatic
why can't you play that way on the diatonic.  Though this will come
off as critism I don't intend it to be, if Hammer can play such
beautiful music on the chromatic why does it seems that he boxes
himself in on the diatonic by playing simple licks, patterns and runs
and otherwise cliche harp lines?  Where has this beautiful music gone?

Listen to Howard Levy, the lines he plays on the harp, sax, flute or
mando are the same lines he plays on the piano. It's obvious to me
that his music is flowing through him and regardless of instrument is
emplyed.  What's different about Hammer? From what I heard the music
he plays on the chrom comes from his head but the music he plays on
the harp comes from the harp. Obviously Hammer is a gifted musician
why does he let the one instrument dictate what he hears in his head
when he clearly dictates the music on the chrom.  He stated himself
that he can OB so he should have any limitations.  And especially on
a song like Pass the Time where OBs are not required what was the
modus operandi behind the choice of axe?

This is NOT a dis on Hammer smith or anybody else.

Chris Michalek

www.michalekstrone.com
CD Available
http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/michalekstrone