Re: [Harp-L] Chris Hammersmith WHY?

Hi Chris & Chris

I am going to snip out the part of Chris M.'s post that sums it up:

----- Original Message ----- From: "Chris Michalek" <Chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Harp-L] Chris Hammersmith WHY?

The way harpshredder employs the chromatic is almost insulting to the
diatonic.  Not that there is anything wrong with what he's done with
this tune or even the choice of harmonica. But if you're going to
playing in such a emotive and passionate way, why not use the harp.

To answer Chris M.'s question here: If you've got it . . . Flaunt it! Chris Smith recorded it that way on chromatic because he could. This is a really wonderful recording and a wonderful piece for chromatic. I happen to be a big fan of diatonic players using OB's. I enjoy the fluidity of the diatonic and I have a certain "diatonic envy" for the sound. However, the poor, ignored, forlorn and forgotten chromatic deserves a seat at the table as well. I honestly don't think that recording this on diatonic would necessarily make it any better - just different. Chris Smith certainly overcomes any inherent difference between the two instruments with his passion for the chromatic, his taste, his tone and his chops. I know Chris M. would do a wonderful job with it as well, but I think this is a beautiful chromatic recording.

I have to give Chris M. a hard time here because he implies that the poor, ignored, forlorn and forgotten chromatic (hereafter known as the PIFFC) is not emotive. I think that when Chris Smith plays it, it is very emotive. I've brought people to tears when I play. Then again, it happens far too often to me to be a good thing ;-). Seriously though, as Chris Smith proves, chromatic players are not ready to throw in the towel yet. There is a lot to be said on the instrument.

Incidentally, I believe Chris Smith is located out in my neck of the woods (LA). I get to see him play every couple of years and he always puts on a good show. The first time I saw him play must be more than . . . oops, I don't want to date anybody. It was a while back ;-). Also, I believe Chris Smith plays a very interesting chromatic that you might enjoy hearing about. I think it might even weigh more than any Renny. To Chris Smith: Thanks for the great recording. To Chris M.: "Grrr" us chromatic players aren't licked yet!

Michael