[Harp-L] Overbend Argument Metaphor

When I first picked up a crayon as a young child, I was happy to write on anything with any color.  I then learned to color only on paper.  Then I learned I can only color on specific paper.  After a while, I made drawings with more than one color.  A few years later, I could color inside the lines.  Then, I learned to color all in one direction inside the lines.  After a while, I started to draw my own lines in which to color.  If I were to receive higher education in visual art, I may eventually be good enough to color on non-paper media (walls, etc.) and have my artwork preserved.  I would then actually be good enough to color on anything once again.

  I can then begin to ponder . . .
  "What crayon is most important?"
  "Do I need a box of 12 or 64 to color this picture?"
  "Would it be easier to pick out the orange crayon, or mix the red and yellow?"
  "Is the texture of the orange crayon more desirable than the texture of the red-yellow mix?"
  "Does the observer of my artwork appreciate the fact that I mixed red and yellow, or purchased and orange crayon?"

  Ultimately, each artist will answer these questions for him or herself.

  The inner dialog of the artist is never seen by the observer--only the resulting work.
  Artists may pick each other's brains about such dialog.  However, each artist must arrive at peace within him or herself in the process of creating art over a lifetime.

http://www.channelcatsbluesband.20m.com
http://www.cdbaby.com/willvogtman
http://www.towerrecords.com/product.aspx?pfid=CDB0693830012