[Harp-L] Diatonic Jazz

A major factor in public acceptance of jazz diatonic is public expectation of what a harmonica
should sound like and its proper role.   I believe that the vast majority of the non-music playing
public perceives the role of the chromatic harmonica through Stevie Wonder's hits and the diatonic
through stereotyped uses in commercials as a blues instrument.  Play well within those
preconceptions and you'll win acceptance.  Play the harp outside of those preconceptions, you will
be regarded as a curiousity or novelty act by most listeners no matter how good you may be.   The
same thing would happen if you were the world's best jazz banjo or accordion player.  It doesn't
matter how good you may be, public preconceptions of the role of those instruments will be
difficult if not impossible to overcome.

So why bother?  I do it because I love the portablitity of the instrument.  If I could carry an
alto sax in my pocket, I'd probably put more time into sax.   I also do it because I love the
interaction between my mouth and the air and the reeds, which is why I prefer diatonic to
chromatic, it just feels like a closer, more responsive connection in my mouth.  (The XB-Melody
loses a little bit of that connection but still feels more intimate than a Chromatic to me.)