[Harp-L] Re: Lightning In a Bottle

At Date: Sun, 5 Feb 2006 18:12:09 EST, Elizabeth wrote:
Subject: [Harp-L] Subject: Lightning In a Bottle

I just watche Lightning in a Bottle this past week. It was excellent, but was tarnished by one number. I don't know the artist's name, but a rapper was allowed to do Boom, Boom. He changed it to 'No Boom, Boom' and used it as an anti-war political statement. I'm making any comment about where war is right or wrong. I'm just stating that the producers made a mistake by allowing this to creep into an otherwise EXCELLENT tribute to the Blues. Probably half of the U.S. population audience would be disappointed by this political diversion display, while the other half were made happy. And how many additional Blues fans would be upset but the making Boom, Boom into a rap number. Why lose half or more of your audience. 100% of Blues fans would love this up to the point of being disgusted by this inappropriate interuption.

There were a lot of great musicians (some of whom I did not know) and lots of VERY soulful music. Going from memory:
Kim Wilson played harmonica.
Dr. John on Piano (but mostly behind the scenes). Of course, he is not a Blues musician really.
John Fogerty (Eagles) did a very soulful blues of Let the Midnight Sun Shine It's Everylasting Love you you.
Bob Blue Bland (I think that's who it was) did a great number. Got the audience involved. Just absolutely fantastic.

There were may other great numbers and musicians, but these stick out for me.

Paul