Re: [Harp-L] Stupid question about Digitech processors

Hi Richard -

I was indeed referring to the vocal 300 harmonizer effect.

I checked out the samples on your site and they do sound really good! And for some applications I'm very happy with the harmonizer. But if I listen critically, I think there are tuning problems, not for all pitches but some sound pretty far off to my ears. One of these days I'll hook up to my strobe tuner and see how far off it really is (positive I'm not imagining this ;-).

Also, the harmonizer adds some dirt to the sound, which can be good but is not always desirable. I had recently bought my 300 when I went to see Joshua Redman play in a small club and was absolutely floored at how beautiful his harmonized tenor sax was (not to mention that I was floored, as usual, by his playing -- but that's another story). It was crystal clear, very in tune, and the bottom end was absolutely beautiful and powerful. Not sure which model I was hearing, but he had a couple of Eventide processors sitting next to him on stage.

Not to knock the RP300, it's a wonderful effects box for the price and I continue to use it in my setup. I am curious to see what an eventide sounds like with my chromatic though....

- Slim.

www.SlideManSlim.com <http://www.SlideManSlim.com>

Richard Hunter wrote:

Are you talking about the Vocal 300 harmonizer, or the pitch shifter in
the RP300A? The pitch shifter in my RP200 tracks well and is in tune. (The whammy effect, a different kind of pitch shifter, isn't in tune,
but that's a different story.)

You can hear samples of a couple of octave-shifted RP200 sounds at my
website at:
http://www.hunterharp.com/DigitechRP/
You'll see a bunch of folders there -- one of them is for sounds
pitch-shifted down an octave.  I think the stuff sounds in tune. See
what you think.

Regards, Richard Hunter
hunterharp.com