[Harp-L] Seydel Harmonica Aims to Please: Incredible!

Around Christmas I emailed Mike Timler of Seydel Harmonicas in Germany an
inquiry to see if he would or could make some miniature four hole ?Jimmy
Reed? harps tuned same as holes 7-8-9-10 on standard A harp for first
position play. Amazingly, he responded in the positive and put his best
harp and reed engineer Karl Pucholt  on the task.  My intent was to order
maybe 30 of these to make available to friends and Harp-lers at cost as
sort of a fun but useable trinket worn on a necklace like a few years back
when Jimmy Gordon made a few of these for Joe Filisko and later myself and
a few others (Jimmy doesn?t make them any more: too labor intensive and
very delicate reeds).

After creating two ?betas? for me as a sample, one tuned as above, the
other tuned like holes 1-2-3-4 in high A, Seydel decided it wasn?t
economically feasible to do such a small run of these, as the labor and
profit margin would be prohibitive for an order of less than 300 harps.  He
was gracious and kind enough to send the two betas to me absolutely free of
charge even though between himself and his staff invested significant hours
of their time in the project.

I want to thank Mike Timler and Seydel publically for their interest in
satisfying one small customer with such a request: it really is
unprecedented in the harp world in my experience! The minis are cool and
yes, nicely sealed, perfectly tuned, and all those Jimmy Reed riffs are
right in there!  As a small token of my appreciation I?m gonna order  some
of each of their three diatonics to try out (Aluminum comb, plastic comb
and wood comb). Oh,  and probably put Mike and Karl on my Christmas card
list, and send them some Jason Ricci and Pat Ramsey CDs!

Seydel Rocks: Mike if you see this, Thanks a lot!!  Hope the good Karma
comes back to you a hundred fold.  People: please support these guys!

Zig

http://mail2web.com/ .