[Harp-L] Re: SP20 modification

  > I guess I am going back to the SP 20 as it only has one screw & it is
> far enuff away as not to rip the lip. Anyone solve this issue?
  > (I shove the harp deep into my >mouth)
> James Day

  James,
  If you are back to the SP20's and you don't like the darker tone you can try something my friend Mathew Smart showed me. Take the covers off the SP20 and bend the lip on the back of the covers under to open up the harp. This really brightens up the tone. I play Bushman Delta Frosts or the equivalent Suzuki Harpmaster and I love the bright tone. But I have quite a few SP20's around that I had before I discovered the Bushman and Suzukis. I modified the covers on all my SP20's and they are much brighter and sound better to me.

  There are various ways to bend the covers. I use a pair of needlenose pliers covered with a towel to bend the lip under without scratching the cover. Then I lay the harp on a towel and use a small piece of wood and a hammer to tap on the bent over edge to finish off the bend nicely.

  Jim McBride