[Harp-L] Kaleidescope Boogie

I was listening again to an unreleased recording of Canned Heat live in concert at the Boston Tea
Party in 1969.   Also on the bill was the group Kaleidescope.   The tape is not the greatest sound
quality with an unruly mix and lots of distortion.  Nevertheless it contains a fine version of
"I'm Her Man" with the Blind Owl showing just how "major" sounding and jazzy 3rd position can be.

The last song of the set is "Kaleidescope Boogie".  Wilson is playing guitar only.   But at the
beginning of the song Bob "The Bear" Hite says "I hear a phantom harmonica in the audience.  We're
gonna be in A if you got one brotha".  Shortly thereafter Hite actually invites the guy on stage.
And then Hite invites the violin player from Kaleidescope to also join in.

Within the first 20 seconds the unknown harp player demonstrates a fairly proficient command of
the upper register blow bends. Of course that means he's also got no musical taste if he's already
blow bending up there when the song is just beginning!   After a while The Bear pulls out his own
harp and plays some simple but effective rhythm chords.

I thought it was very interesting to hear how the Bear with far less technical skill than the
unknown Gus, was able to outshine the hotdogger just by having a much better sense of rhythm.