RE: [Harp-L] Tremolo

Buy a double sided G & C Hohner Comet
(The Yellow Sandwich) I use it for zydeco tunes in
both positions. The double octuves reeds sound 'like
a diatonic accordian!  Eh-Twah!

James Day

Thing is, if it really is a tremolo you want, a Comet isn't it. It's double-reeded OK but the reeds are octave-tuned, so no tremolo effect. I agree with what you say about them though. My tremolos are double-sided Hohner Echos. I have one in A/D and one in D/G. They're OK (except for those endearing Hohner nails which are about two centuries behind other makers - sheesh) but they're tuned like a blues harp at the low end with the missing 4th and 6th in the lowest octave. They are not tuned to equal temperament either (I think they are even further away from it than SP20s etc., though I'm not sure - I retune mine). At least two people I know who play tremolos a lot more than I do recommend the Tombo Band Deluxe, the cheaper Tombo (name and number escapes me) or the Suzuki Humming Tremolo. I may be being unfair to Huang here, but look out for quality control issues with their harps, going from my experience with their 10-holes. Great if you're up for working on them, not so great if you're not. And a tremolo that needs working on is a tougher proposition than a single-reeded harp.

Steve

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/trad_irish_harmonica HEAR my CD clips: http://www.gjk2.com/steveshaw/cd.htm