[Harp-L] tremolo and XB-40

Rainbow Jimmy writes

"I think I'm going to make the plunge and buy a tremolo harp (maybe that cool new Seydel). Probably use it for some of our country western tunes. Should I plan on playing straight harp or cross?"

It depends on what you want to do.  It also depends on the tremolo in question and it's tuning system.  You mention the new Seydel Fanfare, this is a solo-tuned tremolo (as are the Huang) so is best approached from that perspective: ignore the tremolo aspect, focus on the tuning scheme and what it gives you.  In this case, 2nd position probably wouldn't be as high on my list, because it isn't as nice in solo tuning as in the German Major Diatonic tuning, since you don't have the advantage of the tonic draw chord.  From a traditional blues perspective, 3rd would fit quite well, similar to the usage of chromatics by Little Walter and others.  Of course, for melody work 1st is a natural fit (and 2nd is still quite usable).

Now, if you are using a traditional tremolo by Hohner or Hering (not sure if Seydel makes any) in GMD tuning, 2nd would be of great use--you can copy things like what the Cajun and Creole accodion players do on their boxes.  1st and 3rd would also be good, as on a non-tremolo diatonic.

On an Asian-style tremolo, with a tuning similar to solo I'd say that 1st and 3rd would again be good ideas--though as with solo 2nd can be quite useful.

In general, the first three positions are the ones I find most useful and comfortable for diatonic harmonicas (of all stripes: standard, tremolo, octave, other)--you can go beyond those, but there is a reason most traditional playing focuses on these three.

Hope this helps.

JR "Bulldogge" Ross
& Snuffy, too:)