[Harp-L] Gifted compliments

I have been all over the map on this one.  I have often been told I am the world's greatest harmonica player and I have laughed and said you need to buy some CD's.  I have even explained to people what went wrong with the gig that they are complimenting me on.  I stopped that when I told a musician I liked his band and he proceeded to explain why I shouldn't.
  I think teaching harmonica has cleared up a lot of stuff for me.  I would compliment students who would immediately belittle themselves and I saw it from the other side.  I now ask students directly, "What do you say when someone compliments you?"  Faced with such a direct question, everyone knows the answer is "Thank you."
  I also advise my students to put that compliment in their pocket to take out and look at later when times are tough.
  I once read an internet chat interview of Musselwhite.  Every question included a compliment.  At the beginning of EVERY answer, Musselwhite said "Thanks for the kind words."  Even if the compliment had been offhand at the beginning of a very long, drawn out question where it would have been easy to act as though replying to the compliment was no longer important to the flow of the conversation.

  I also think that every audience member has taste.  When I don't care for my playing, my taste is different.  When I like my playing, it's just me giving myself a compliment.

  Who do I play for?  After around three years of playing, I got interested in energy work and the "shamanism" of the musician.  I studied the actions of players like Jerry Garcia, Muddy Waters and Bob Marley, who seem to have an almost messianic effect on audiences.  Throughout the years, I have gone in and out of interest in this side of music.  Are we responsible for the audiences' trip?  Should musicians remain clean and sober to provide clarity to the audiences or take psychedelics to provide a contact high travel guidance?
  Luther Allison says "Lose your ego, play the music, love the people"

  I have come to the conclusion that it is not the musician's responsibility to take care of the audience.  If he chooses to do so, great.  Sometimes I am focusing my energy on one member of the audience, sometimes I am consciously sending love to everyone in the audience, sometimes I am trying to convey a message to the musicians in the audience or on the stage.  Sometimes I am just jamming for my own enjoyment and sometimes I am playing yet another solo because it is my job.  Everything in the universe is exactly how it should be, therefore if I am playing for no one with a full house in the audience, it is how it should be.
  Michael Rubin
  Michaelrubinharmonica.com
  Austin, Texas