Re: [Harp-L] customizing problems

The 5 and 9 draw should be tuned to -27 cents for just intonation according to a chart I found by Rick Epping of Hohner. The just intonation is the "original MB tuning".(the chords sound much purer) and was intended for players who soloed or played with harmonica bands. The - 12 cent tuning is a compromised tuning to allow the harp to sound better when playing melody along with other instruments, but to the trained ear the chords sound slightly off. I believe there is a place for both tunings. It really depends on the situation. Most of the guys I know use the new tuning. Just another thing to toss about. Yours Truly, Lenny Mallak

Captron100@xxxxxxx wrote:  A week or so ago, nonametribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

........snip..... gap by drawing the flat brass bar over the reed with a 002
shim under it as shown by Kinya Pollard in 'Harmonica
Workbench'........snip.....check the tuning and flat the 5 and 9 to -29 cents for Just Intonation.

For those of us who have written asking about this K. Pollard technique but
haven't seen the response, I think i've found the above referenced Harp
Workbench issue - http://www.harmonicasessions.com/apr04/h-workbench.html
Also, since this poster (assuming the poster is male - the post wasn't
signed) follows the Pollard method, i wonder why he is this flatting the draw holes
5 and 9 by -29, since this issue of Harp Workbench calls for -12, not minus
29. Is -29 acceptable or preferred?
I know it's been covered many times, but I forget and couldn't find it in
the archives. Once again, what is this particular modern Hohner just tuning
called and what are the benefits of one just tuning scheme over another?
Tia.
Ron - lower FL Keys, USA