Re: [Harp-L] Re: Vote for the best harp amp

Haka Harri wrote:
> Even a trained and experienced ear might not be able to
> identify one amp from another in a blind test. Other side
> of the coin is that if a player feels or doesn't feel
> comfortable with the amplifier might have a big influence
> on the playing itself. A lot of it is more between the
> ears than actual differences between amps.

A lot of it also has to do with how an amp fits someone's needs.  I
have a friend who has an early 70s silverface Vibrolux Reverb that
I'd dearly love to have.  And then I'd only need 9 more amps to
cover all the things I need my amp to do.  I choose an amplifier
that gives me the maximum flexibilty in sound and scale.  Sometimes
I need to play clean, sometimes overdriven, sometimes full and fat
without the overdrive.  Sometimes I need to sound like an accordion,
sometimes like a violin, sometimes like a trumpet, sometimes like a
harmonica.  Sometimes I play big dance halls with a country band,
sometimes I play small restaurants with jazz band and an upright
bass player, sometimes convention rooms with a small combo of
electric instruments.  I don't want to have to buy and learn all
those different setups with different amps, so I go with a rig that
scales -- up or down -- depending on my needs.

-tim