RE: [Harp-L] Re: was Danny Boy now Paddy

Actually, it makes good sense to me. For one, you have 3 octaves in which there is an easy draw breath pattern between D and A [on a C harp] that fits your favored Trad or Celtic music nicely, yes? Also, you don't lose the first C-E-G chord either, right? I'm sure there are other reasons, but these stuck out to me.

Of course, Tim had even more intriguing counterpoints! :-)
Interesting...
Bobbie

I posted a message to Harp-L in April of last year about yet another way of retuning a 10-hole harp to avoid the missing-note problems in the low octave. The idea comes from Jean Sabot, a fabulous harmonica player of traditional music from Brittany in France - he has a website http://perso.wanadoo.fr/jsabot/accueilan.htm with the details of his scheme, which he calls "Major tuning - Ionian mode." To cut a long story short you end up with a 10-hole harp which encompasses two and a half full octaves with no missing notes. The huge disadvantage is that you have to do quite a bit of radical work on the harp, with lots of reeds needing to be adjusted by a tone or a semitone, up or down. You need to be fairly skilled with your file and/or rotary drill, and adeptness with a soldering iron is useful too. I did it (using epoxy glue instead of solder), converting a standard G Lee Oskar to a low D. The blow-draw pattern is totally familiar right up and down the harp - no new tricks to learn. Jean uses this tuning in a number of his recorded tracks.

Steve

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/trad_irish_harmonica
HEAR my CD clips: http://www.gjk2.com/steveshaw/cd.htm

Be the first to hear what's new at MSN - sign up to our free newsletters! http://www.msn.co.uk/newsletters