Re: [Harp-L] Mustang Sally-funk lessons

What we have here is a failure to communicate. Playing funky goes beyond
rhythm -- it includes funky chords. You could play "Jingle Bells" with a lot of
rhythm but it would only be rhthmic "Jingle Bells" without the chords. Only then
would it be funky!?

Ahah! Turns out part of the problem is not just playing Mustang Sally, but
playing funk.

We need some funk lessons. First we have to define it (if you can't define it
how can you play it?) and go from there.

Funk is a beat that is on the 2 and 4 but just a little before the 4, which
is another variation of the famed back beat in a 4/4 measure instead of
punching the 1 and 3, the 2 and 4 are emphasized.

The chords are almost -- only almost -- the next important thing   -- because
the beat is the most important thing in funk. Most used chords (!?) are
G,C,Em,G7, D which means that the most used chord forms are Maj, m, 7, m7 and maj7
for the most part sometimes.

Of course, there are probably better, shorter explanations of funk. Provide
your own.

While the chords in funk might -- that's might, maybe, possibly -- require
several harps to pull off, the rhythm is certainly manageable with one harp.

Further complicating the term funk is that there are several variations of
it, James Brown put it on the charts with "Papa's Got A Brand New Bag" and othrs
followed Sly and the Family Stone and George Clinton (Parliament and
Funkadelic) and beyond.

Playing funk beats and chords is somewhat like playing swing 8ths. If the
player knows how the swing rhythm works -- long-short, long-short (like in a
boogie alternating bass) it's not that hard to immitate. But if the player plays
the notes "straight" the rhythm will not "swing" and the song will not sound
right.