[Harp-L] Re: Mustang Sally

Larry C wrote:
I listen to a lot of Tower of Power and Sly Stone-- and I don't see a lot
of harmonica. ...[snip].... So it follows that many harmonica players are
not interested in funky- rather than not capable of it.

Hey Larry,

I'm not sure I would agree entirely.  I'd say a lot of players are
interested in it, certainly the bluesier side of it as opposed to pure
funk.  A lot of funk is based on 16th-note rhythms.  Sax players and
other horn players are practising this kind of thing early on in their
playing; not so for harp players in general, who often come from blues
backgrounds where shuffle and swing feels are predominant and they have
fewer subdivisions.

I recorded a little sample of something funky on the blues harp.  I wouldn't
consider it funk per se, though - it falls more into the blues side of the
house IMO:
http://www.eugeneryan.com/oct.mp3

I'm working on funkier lines using the chromatic harp, as this is required
for gigs coming up.  Here's a snippet of a well known Stevie tune (played
for the first time with a sit-in band a week or so ago, so forgive the sound
quality and general sloppiness):
http://www.eugeneryan.com/blues-mezz07dec2006-02.mp3
On the Mustang Sally thread - it was one of the songs covered in the Irish
soul film The Commitments, so it has even more appeal for audiences here.  I
really enjoyed Dan's response and approach here - use the song as a vehicle
for partying with the audience, and if they don't want to shake off their
inhibitions, well too bad...

All the best,
Eugene
http://www.eugeneryan.com