Re: [Harp-L] Re: Mustang Sally

On Dec 17, 2006, at 11:19 PM, jazmaan@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

And before the flamewar begins, let me just ask you to think back to the SPAH jams you've attended
over the years. In my experience, funk-imbued blues is as rare as hen's teeth around those
parts.

No flames necessary...jams attended, approx 19

_What would you use as back-up. It's no secret that except for the combo they bring in for the headliners, there aren't many other instruments around. In fact, some headliners supply their OWN back- up. It even says in the By-Laws that any act has to have a harmonica present IN the act. I think people mis interpret this and assume other instruments are a no no. It's not true. But I was once going to do one of my tunes on an instrument other than a harmonica, and told I couldn't. HAD to have a harmonica in the performance. But that doesn't mean other instruments can't be there ALSO.

The blues jams will have guitars and sometimes a bass. But how funky can you get . You need some heavy rhythm. I don't see the rhythm section from either Paul Simon or Prince as a possibility.

smo-joe