[Harp-L] 6th pos.

I agree with George and Chris, this is a great position and I perform with it on nearly every gig except where I believe I am really hired to play cross harp.

  However while George states he hangs around minor, I go for major blues a lot.  I use almost the same technique George describes, but I play 3 triple bend, 6 bend and 9 overdraw for the sixth, I use the 2 single bend, 5 draw and 9 draw for the flat five, and I use 1 draw-1overblow,4draw-4overblow,8 draw-8blow bend for the flat third-major third combination.  I also will occassionally bebop scale the 7b,7,1 combination by 3 double-3single-3 draw, 6draw-6overblow-7draw or 10 draw-10doubleblowbend-10singleblowbend.  Playing the last set is easier than just hitting 10 single bend.

  I agree with George that 6th position is difficult in major.  IMO major is one of the toughest scales because certain songs require that you strictly adhere to the scale.  I had learned two fiddle tunes , ANgus Campbell and President GArfield's Hornpipe, in all 12 keys on both diatonic and chromatic at 120 beats per minute to try and improve my ability to play in major in any key.  It's still hard.
  Michael Rubin
  Michaelrubinharmonica.com
  Austin,TX