[Harp-L] Musical theory

I admit to being wrong on the lack of musical vs technical talk on this  list. Was a little behind in my reading. Lots of good comments with musical content have been made. I would like to add another opinion.
 The never-ending debate is whether a musician should have a background of musical theory or rather play with instinct. Especially in blues harmonica I believe the latter is true. Case of proof are many blues harp greats. I'm not one of them but I know which key to use when the band tells me what key they're playing in. G = C and all the others including Bb. Then, of course, you can move onwards to positions et al.But I've never understood what a scale or a chord is. And I doubt that either of the Walters ever gave it a thought. Harri