Re: [Harp-L] Defining Musical Self Gratification (offshoot of Popper criticism rebuke)

Dan writes: "When playing for others, though, I try to consider  the audience.  My opinion is that they'll tell you when you're only gratifying yourself. The key being, of course that the musician must CARE about his/her audience and pay attention to their signals..."

I warn you, this is starting to stray, but it just reminded me... and I apologize in advance for the vagueness, but if memory serves, it was the summer of 1986, Pier 86 on the Hudson river in New York City, I had only just begun playing harp a few months prior.   Santana came on the stage and began playing this exquisitely beautiful, deep, introspective kinda piece... this was the first song of the Santana set after the Gregg Allman Band just finished with I'm No Angel>One Way Out>Whipping Post.  The crowd was kind of wound up... beautiful, deep and introspective is not what they (the audience) were feeling.  Well, after a couple of minutes of groans and scattered shouts of protest from the audience, a seemingly disgusted Carlos Santana slammed down a G chord, turned to the band and proceeded to blow the faces off of every one on that pier for about two hours... then stopped, said something about love, spirituality and understanding, and played that same piece he started with to the most attentive, rapt and respectful audience I ever have been part of...

what's my point?  I'm not sure there is one... maybe only that Carlos Santana seems to agree with Dan.

Jim - NY

>>> Dan <billybudd1313@xxxxxxxxx> 12/14/2006 1:56 PM >>>
Dear List,  I was reading the digest this morning and Noah (Fiesty) Hoehn's John Popper rebuke caught my eye.  I won't get too deep into the Popper discussion, except to say I dig him, and I also liked Noah's sound.  The main purpose of this post, however, is to try and pull out an interesting discussion point from the rebuke.

  Noah asks,  (below) for a definition.  The term he uses does not offend me personally, but I am shackled to a very politically correct work environment.  As such, I want to call the new thread:  "Defining Musical Self Gratification"

  Here's my take on the subject, full of my opinions and subjectivity.

  To some degree, all playing of music is self gratifying.  We play because it makes us feel good.  When playing alone, I say, "whatever floats your boat", and " if it doesn't harm anyone or yourself, go for it".

  When playing for others, though, I try to consider  the audience.  My opinion is that they'll tell you when you're only gratifying yourself. The key being, of course that the musician must CARE about his/her audience and pay attention to their signals.  I've known many a player who only gratifies himself onstage.  I've also known many audiences who are easily gratified.  I suppose there's a lot of leeway.

   If  >10,000+ people can (around BT's heyday) dig Popper's playing live, then he was clearly gratifying more than himself.  If the crowd walks out on a performer who believed he/she was "killing it" then perhaps the only person gratified was the performer.

  Thoughts?

  Dan G.
  www.edbluepills.com
  www.jdbone.com

     Posted by: "Noah Hoehn" nhoehn@xxxxxxxxxxx   Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:55 pm (PST)

DEFINE FOR ME WHAT WACKING OFF ON ONE'S INSTRUMENT IS.

Is it 16th notes? 32nd notes? 64th notes? Since I'm sure that you'll duck
and run under the "just an opinion man..." response... I'd like your opinion
on my playing. That's right--I'm willing to put myself out there on this
one. So as a Popper guy, I'd like you to listen to my stuff at
http://www.viciousa loysius.com/ and tell us what you think.

Feisty,
Noah