Re: [Harp-L] Happy Holidays and rethinking harp amps

Gary wrote:
can you elaborate on the problem?

Gladly! Thanks Mike and Gary for getting back to me.

do you mean that when you
use another amp model, like tweed, it isn't loud enough? or that
when using another one you can't turn it up without feedback

More like the former. I mean that I can't get nearly as much volume from either clean keyboard amp when the amp modeller is in the chain as when it's out of the chain - either bypassed completely, or with the Digitech in the chain with no amp simulated. The Tweed amp model is one I would use a lot - it's pretty low gain - but at any gain setting of the Digitech, it feeds back when I turn the amp up. I've tried some other amp models in the same effects unit and they suffer form the same problems.

There are basically 3 configurations:
1.
Mic into amp (amplifier functions as a PA) has preamp - this is pretty loud

2.
Mic into Digitech (also has mic preamp)
Line out from Digitech into line input of amp
Amp modelling turned off
This is pretty loud too

3.
Mic into Digitech (also has mic preamp)
Line out from Digitech into line input of amp
Amp modelling turned on - in this case Tweed amp - I tried varying the gain
level from the Digitech - it also has a master level that I leave up nearly
full
Can't turn up this baby without feedback.  Even with messing with EQ
settings.  Of course I haven't tried all combinations of EQ, so it hasn't
been exhaustive.

Mike F wrote:
Eugene, remember that speaker size and number play a
huge part in the volume you'll get. A 45w amp with
four 10" speakers will sound lounder then a 45w amp
with one 10" speaker.

Thanks Mike. I have been using two amps for experimentation. The larger of the two is apparently 120W - it's a full range box, with 15" woofer, 5" midrange, tweeter.

It's interesting that I played a jazz gig last night with a smaller 45W amp
with 10" speaker and it was loud enough.  I even had to turn down a few
times.  This was mostly using clean settings, bypassing the amp modeller.
The volumes on the blues gigs I've been doing have been much higher.

I'll check out Richard's Digitech settings.  In fact he has been kind enough
to help me out with this stuff, so I will try out his sample settings soon.

Thanks,
Eugene
http://www.eugeneryan.com