[Harp-L] John Popper Criticism REBUKED....

Matt,

I disagree with your post and I would like to challenge you to explain further. As a John Popper fan I would appreciate it if you fleshed out your point(s). Here are the problems I see with your statements:

First, I think your friend is wrong about Keith Richard's quote. If you can prove the quote then I would like to see it. Here's a quote from Popper that I think proves yours wrong: "I actually met Mick Jagger, and I said, "If you need my help on 'Miss You...,'" and he said, "Well, I'll let you know, thanks." And I think I kind of hurt his feelings the way I put it to him. And in Rolling Stone, I read Keith Richards kind of saying to Mick, like, "Hey, why don't you get the guy from Blues Traveler to sit in?," and Mick's, like, "F#*$ off!" And the interviewer's like, "Yeah, he's good." And Mick said, "Too good." And I was on cloud nine. That's one of my favorite stories I'll ever have. Mick Jagger says I'm too good. How cool is that?"

It's doubtful that Richards continually denied Popper because he played too many notes. It is likely that Jagger didn't want to get upstaged as told by Popper himself.

--Busted--

Let's suspend reality for a minute and say that Richards DID in fact say that to Popper... So what. You want to know something Matt? Mozart was told by Emperor Joseph II that his opera "Die Entführung aus dem Serail" had "too many notes". Big deal. It's all about taste.

So while we're talking about taste... You made a really pathetic statement in, "That is not playing. It is "wacking off" with your instrument." It's pathetic because in fact, John Popper is playing. He's blowing and drawing air through his instrument. Or maybe, I'm not enlightened enough to know what "playing" is. So won't you please elaborate on that? And wacking off eh? Boy... I won't make ad hominem attacks to make my point but alot of what BostonMoeJo said in his reply comes to mind. So here goes:

DEFINE FOR ME WHAT WACKING OFF ON ONE'S INSTRUMENT IS.

Is it 16th notes? 32nd notes? 64th notes? Since I'm sure that you'll duck and run under the "just an opinion man..." response... I'd like your opinion on my playing. That's right--I'm willing to put myself out there on this one. So as a Popper guy, I'd like you to listen to my stuff at http://www.viciousaloysius.com/ and tell us what you think.

Feisty,
Noah