[Harp-L] RE: Rare/custom/old harmonicas on ebay

Hi guys,
The first old harmonica I bought on ebay was a prewar MB thanks to none other than Jason Ricci who mentioned it here on harp-l, a couple years back. $10 and it was a nice one!
Other than that, I usually avoid this stuff BUT I did get a perfect Brendan Power CX12 extended Richter at a fair price, half of new (I did disassemble and clean thoroughly, of course, easy to do on these). And it's stayed new, I never really got into playing it. Then some time back an assortment of Brendan's CX12s and a CX10 showed up in an estate sale on ebay from a former harp-ler that is deceased, including a diminished and I won the bidding at around $100 or less a harp (absurdly cheap). BUT that deal went south when paid-for harmonicas never arrived, seller couldn't/wouldn't trace them but fortunately I did ultimately get my money back. Seller may have cut an outside-ebay deal that left me out but who knows? Oh, the adventures of ebay.
Most recently, I'm sure some of you saw the custom Farrell, Frank Huang, and Bill Romel chromatics that sold recently from the Farrell estate. These were sold in fairly big lots with assorted standard production Hohners and Herings and maybe some of those may come up on ebay again. Only other thing I've gotten is an old 30s Unitone chromatic, I got pretty cheap but not something I would ever use, just looks cool on the shelf.
I would say, in general, it's probably not worth the time to keep surfing for a bargain on custom harps as the total number out there is pretty minimal, condition may or may not be accurately described, and the occasional dishonest seller (not that big a problem, but all it takes is one bad deal if you're the buyer...). Now I need to order a custom harp or two from Joe Spiers, since I don't think I'll find one under the Christmas tree!
Happy Holidays.