[Harp-L] Position Tools (was: Re: 12th position terms)

fjm wrote:
> The best circle of 5ths I ever saw was on the blusesite.  It's
> long gone but I had printed several copies.  I keep one in my
> gig bag as I slowly incorprate it into my head.

A couple of years ago I had some time on my hands and a need to
learn Microsoft Excel (the spreadsheet program), so I wrote the tool
that I use to chart scales and modes against different harmonica
tunings in different keys.  It plots notes, scale degrees and
includes the bends and overbends, very similar to the way the "Scale-
Finder" on Tinus' overblow.com site works (I use a much smaller set
of tunings, and don't resolve the enharmonic note naming to the
scale).

Doing this piece of work was incredibly enlightening, and I don't
share this to make people want to use my program -- I'm keeping it
all to myself.  Rather, I suggest that anything you make for
yourself as a useful tool -- whether it's scrawling the keys and
positions down on a piece of paper, or making a circle of
fifths/circle of fourths wheel, or writing a computer program to
plot scale degrees against a harmonica tuning -- anything is going
to help you understand these relationships better and enhance your
understanding of the underlying music theory.

A sloppy friend of mine once told me regarding learning music, "I
feel like I'm putting together a million piece jigsaw and every day
I get another piece in the puzzle.  Sometimes I get a corner or an
edge piece and a little more of the picture is revealed to me.  But
there are still hundreds of thousands of pieces left to go."

-tim