[Harp-L] Repost help:$500 and a new amp.

From: $500 and a new amp.

Sorry for the repost here I am new and cannot figure out how to reply to
all the great post sent to my topic. I tried the help email and have not
gotten a reply.

I am not sure how many watts I need I am kind of new to harp playing but
learning very fast and want an amp to practice with. I was thinking I
like to get things in stages, I was thinking of getting Fender blues Jr.
for now and then sending it to someone like Ron in a few weeks. Would
this come out better than the crates?

It will be used for practice mostly at home with some chances to play
with friends and small gigs. I also play guitar and was hoping to use it
with that as well.

Thanks Shay

 From: Richard Hunter

Thanks for the mention.  If the budget is $500, I'd suggest that you may
want to think about buying a new or used Crate VC508, V58, or Palomino
V8 or V15, any of which should run below $300, or any other fo the tube
amps recommended so far for less than $300, and spending the remaining
$200 to send the amp to Ron Holmes, who will tweak it into a monster
harp amp.

The big question in all this is how many watts you need.  The Crate
VC508, V58, and Palomino V8, and the kalamazoo amps are all 5 watt amps.
They put out a lot of sound, but not compared to a full band.  If you're
going to be playing in a full band with your rig, you either need a
bigger amp, or you need to plan on micing the amp through a PA or
something.  My site, as referenced above, includes some information on
alternatives for a big, loud setup.

Regards, Richard Hunter
hunterharp.com