Re: [Harp-L] "playing"

JR Ross:
That goes back to this issue of "chromatic diatonic" playing: what is the context we're talking about. If it's one of the player's own making, then my definition might not work for "playing". If the context (as is usually the case) is a defined genre such as straight- ahead jazz (or even the more generic "jazz") then I think my definition of what the criteria for successfully playing the instrument "chromatically" would be a good one. It is, of course, my criteria and obviously others don't think it's a good one. But, I then ask what are the criteria they would set? And, how do those fit into the context of the music being discussed.

OK, we are communicating, I get where you are coming from, but are you saying that the diatonic harp players on and off this list who play jazz are not doing that successfully? It sounds like you are saying that they are not, and/or that their music is not good, etc. You set a higher standard than the people who pay to hear them play, or buy their CDs if that is what you are saying.

If they are not shackled by chromatic notes that they can not play, and they can draw a audience that appreciates the music that they play, why is that not successfully playing chromatic music?. Within the context of playing music that requires chromaticism, if they satisfy an audience, why is that not enough?

Peace,
Dave