[Harp-L] re: Customizing problems/ Chris where is you at HELP!!

Jason Ricci writes:

"By the way tons of people can play a chromatic scale in one breath perfectly
in tune on diatonic... where have you been???"

Listening. So far I hear people who can play in tune (often, not always--and sometimes not when it counts most, but that depends on the individual), but that's only a small part of the equation. What I don't hear is playing with the same timbre, phrasing or articulation. I hear instead a harsh mishmash between natural and accidentals when this is tried.

Jason Ricci again:

" Put MP, Michalek or George
Brooks or me or half the people on this list up against the bend O meter any
day baby! Bring it on!!!! John Henry style! Chris where are you!!!???"

I know of dozens of people who can play bends and overblows in tune (mostly), but that's not the main issue, I'd say. First, it's doing it in the piece (often missed) but more important are the articulation and timbre issues. The intonation can be gotten pretty close (though it's always an issue due to the instability of the process of bending and overblowing), but the timbre will never be the same between naturals and accidentals--nor will the phrasing or articulation. That's because no matter how hard we wish it or dream it, the physics of how a harmonica works isn't going to change. The physical difference between what is going on in natural notes and accidentals is real, and no amount of positive thinking makes it go away.

I'd suggest re-reading what I wrote about the definition of "play"-- it's not just being able to access the notes per se, but how they sound and can be used. Better yet, check the archives for the entire discussion back in February.

()() JR "Bulldogge" Ross () () & Snuffy, too:) `----'